Monday, January 23, 2012

Comic Review: The Dark Crystal Creation Myths: Volume 1


    I know most folks of my generation who have any kind of interest in fantasy and/or the weird, prefer Jim Henson’s Labyrinth, but while I love that film, The Dark Crystal was my passport to wonder.  I still think it’s among the best fantasy films ever made.  An amazing achievement and a real joy.  So, while I was curious about a newly produced graphic novel, I was also very skeptical. 


    Thankfully, my worries were quickly proven unwarranted.  The book itself is beautiful, with a nice Brian Froud cover, thick pages, and a generally handsome design.  The interior artwork quite lovely, doing a fine job of capturing the themes and content.  And the richness of the world is explored in a respectful and thoughtful way.  The expansion and deepening of themes and concepts introduced in the film pulled me right in, made me fall in love with it all over again. 


    Each story lends more depth to the world, while unfolding the story of Aughra, her son Raunip, the Gelflings and origin of the Skeksis and Mystics.  Apparently this is intended to be a three volume work, and I can not wait to read the next two.  For any fan of the movie, anyone who likes a tale well told, and any fan of fantasy, this is a must read.  Frankly, a must own. 



The Dark Crystal Creation Myths: Volume 1
Author: Brian Holguin
Artists: Alex Sheikman and Lizzy John
Publisher: Archaia
ISBN: 978-1-936393-00-8
Pages: 96

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment